One of the most fundamental steps to maintaining good health is eating a healthy and balanced diet. This entails consuming a wide variety of healthy foods in the right proportions for you to obtain the essential nutrients and achieve your ideal body weight.
What is a Balanced Diet?
Basically, a balanced diet refers to one that provides your body with the important nutrients that it needs to be able to function effectively. If you want to obtain the necessary nutrition from your diet, you have to get most of your daily calories from the following examples of foods:
- Lean protein
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
Why is Balanced Diet Necessary?
It is important to have a balanced diet because your organs and tissues require proper nutrition for them to function smoothly. Without proper nutrition, you will become more prone to various infections, diseases, fatigue, and will suffer from poor performance at school, work, or even your other day-to-day activities.
One of the most obvious outcomes of poor nutrition and unhealthy diet is the increasing number of people with obesity and diabetes, particularly in the United States. According to the USDA, four out of the 10 primary causes of mortality in America are directly connected to people’s diet. These leading causes of death include:
- heart ailments
How to Accomplish a Nutritious and Balanced Diet
A healthy balanced diet involves foods that do not contain high levels of unnecessary sugar and fats. Instead, the food types that comprise a balanced diet are those which are high in nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. Below are some of the food types that you should consume regularly:
- grains- high in fiber; switch from rice, white bread, and pasta into whole grain products
- fruits- great source of various vitamins and minerals; also make tasty snacks
- proteins- lean meats, some cuts of beef and pork, eggs, beans, soy-based products, and fish are some of the most common examples of healthy proteins
- vegetables- just like the other items mentioned in this list, vegetables are among the major sources of important vitamins and minerals; dark leafy veggies are the most nutritious
- dairy- this type of food can provide your body with vitamin D, calcium, and other vital nutrients. Some examples of dairy products include milk, cheese, and yogurt. Plant-based milks that are also rich in calcium nutrients can also be eaten as an alternative to dairy products from cows. Examples of these plant-based milks include almond, flaxseed, and soy.
- healthy oils- olive oil and vegetable oils are common examples of healthy oils that are good for your health
While it is important to eat a balanced diet, always remember that you should also exercise regularly if you want to achieve a fit and healthy body. By doing a combination of good diet and workout, you will find yourself safe from diseases and more capable of performing your tasks effectively.