Exercise can be one of the most effective ways to achieve a healthy and fit body. Almost anyone can walk, jog, and perform light to moderate exercises; however, is it necessary to talk to your physician before performing a more intense workout routine? Sure, it is a great idea to talk to your doctor if you have any questions regarding your health and your plan to execute a more rigorous exercise regimen.
In this article, we will provide some of the most effective tips that you can follow to be able to exercise more safely. Some tried and tested strategies include the following:
- Warm up for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Start slowly and increase your level of activity gradually.
- Do not exercise in extremely hot and humid conditions because this can lead to dehydration and overheating. When exercising under hot temperatures, it is highly recommended to slow your pace.
- Drink a lot of water and other drinks that can replenish the electrolytes that you have lost.
- Performing exercises that are too intense and too frequently can lead to overuse injuries such as sore muscles and joints, stress fractures, and inflamed ligaments. Hence, it is important to wear proper clothes and mix various kinds of routines for each day of your workout so you will be able to give each muscle group sufficient time to rest.
- Learn how to use exercise equipment and tools properly.
- When you are doing strength training, good form is important. Start by using very light weights when learning how to do the exercise. Do not hurry to finish your sets or struggle to lift heavier weights right away.
- Wear proper workout clothes depending on the weather, especially if you are exercising outdoors. For instance, if it is too cold you may need to wear layers and gloves to prevent hypothermia.
If you have injuries or an unstable health condition, including heart ailments, high blood pressure, respiratory problem, diabetes, as well as joint or bone diseases, it is highly recommended to consult your physician first to know if specific types of exercises will make your situation worse. For those who are experiencing various health symptoms such as dizziness, shortness of breath, and chest pains during exercise, it is also important to visit a doctor as soon as possible so you will be given pieces of advice on how you will be able to exercise safe.